Specials more

Top 5 - yesterday

Top 5 - last week

Top 5 - last month

Massive problems ahead for apple growing region of Hawke’s Bay

There are large problems ahead for one of NZ's major apple growing regions; Nearly half of Hawke's Bay's apple orchards have been damaged, some critically, by cyclone Gabrielle. This has caused the Apples and Pears NZ to write to the government asking for special help. Chair of Apple and Pears NZ Richard Punter told Rural News that there are 8,400 hectares planted in apples in Hawke's Bay and 47% of that land has been damaged. He says that just leaves 53% of the remaining land, or 4,400 hectares, that can be harvested in the normal way.

Punter estimates that there are 150 pome fruit growers in the region and 80 of these are affected by the cyclone. He says the huge numbers they have come up with are very accurate because they wanted to give government ministers quality information on which to base decisions.


Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.