Driscoll's newest flavor innovation, Tropical Bliss™, expands Driscoll's premium, high-flavor strawberry collection, which also includes Sweetest Batch™ and Rosé Berries™.
The company is offering three very different high-flavor strawberries mapped to a proprietary sensory wheel. This collection was developed through traditional breeding methods, no GMOs, that are always used to develop Driscoll's Only the Finest Berries™. Due to the seasonality of all three of these strawberries, supplies are limited and only available in the spring and summer.
Tropical Bliss Strawberries.
- Tropical Bliss Strawberries: These new strawberries combine the flavor of sweet berries and light flavor notes of tropical punch, pineapple, and passionfruit. With naturally white and yellow hues, they are intensely sweet at first, balanced by a refreshing finish.
- Rosé Strawberries: These berries get their light-pink hue from the traditional breeding methods used by Driscoll's team of flavor experts. They have flavor notes of peach, floral and pink lemonade. These berries offer an extra sweet and juicy eating experience.
- Sweetest Batch Strawberries: These strawberries are part of a berry patch collection of high-flavor strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. These strawberries are extra juicy and feature the flavor of strawberry candy and fruit punch.
Driscoll's Berry Patch Sensory Wheels™ are designed to capture the full sensory spectrum of tasting a Driscoll's berry. The company's strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries each have a dedicated proprietary sensory wheel.
The berry flavor experience combines the sensory dimensions of taste, texture, flavor, aroma, and mouthfeel. The sensory wheels provide a guide to the art and science of berry enjoyment, and Driscoll's Berry Innovators created a process to objectively identify flavor dimensions in strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, including:
- Taste: sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami
- Texture: characteristics like crunchy and firm
- Aroma: scents like lemon, mango, and tropical punch
- Mouthfeel: physical sensations like juicy and refreshing
The Driscoll's Strawberry Sensory Wheel enhances its ability to communicate flavor to berry consumers.
"We are proud to define the sensory experience for consumers everywhere," says Henry Yeung, R&D sensory lead at the company. "The Driscoll's Berry Patch Sensory Wheels took a team of sensory scientists over two years to create, and we are excited to see consumers interact with them."
"Creating Only The Finest berries is core to our innovation strategy, and we look forward to continuing to provide consumers with quality, high-flavor berries," says Philip Stewart, Driscoll's global strawberry breeding director.
Tropical Bliss, Rosé Berries, and Sweetest Batch are available in select retailers now.